For over 165 years FS-Curtis has called St. Louis, Missouri home. Right from the heart of America we have been setting and surpassing the standard for the world of compressed air. From the beginning, FS-Curtis has aimed to provide quality products in some of the most demanding industries throughout history.
Our legacy begins in 1854, when a company named Empire Saw Works employed a clerk by the name of Frank Curtis. In only a few years Frank and his father would come to own Empire Saw Works and in 1858 they would change the name of the company to “Curtis & Hiles.” After some time, they change the name again to “Curtis & Co.”
During the 19th century, the city of St. Louis, including Curtis & Co., produced over 80% of the nation’s saws and saw mill machinery. As the company grew and produced a more diverse line of products, the name changed yet again to “Curtis and Company Manufacturing Company.” By the end of the century, the company was producing a product line that included water cooled compressors, pneumatic cylinders for elevators, and hand powered traveling cranes. In addition to these products, Curtis and Company designed and engineered the first ever high-pressured car wash in the United States. It was then in 1897 that Curtis started to produce the Master Line (ML) series, which is still being produced by FS-Curtis in St. Louis today!
In 1904, Curtis and Company Manufacturing Company purchased 20 acres of land where a steel foundry was built to produce Curtis products and other steel materials. To this day, we are located on that same plot of land! After the construction of the steel mill, the company segmented into three different parts: the Curtis Saw and Saw Mill Machinery Co., Curtis Pneumatic Co., and St. Louis Steel Foundry. These three divisions focused on creating machinery, air compressors, saw blades and Model B Compressors.
During the first half of the 20th century, Curtis continued to refine its product line by removing and replacing different models to their air compressor line, including the F Model Series and C Model Series. By 1956, the large foundry was shut down as the company focused on a more refined product line. All other products were dropped from production as we continued to manufacture air compressors and accessories in the same location. In 1974 Curtis purchased Toledo Beaver Tools of Toledo, Ohio. At the time, Toledo Beaver Tools was producing pipe treading tools, chop saws and power pipe threading tools. In 1976 the company moved all manufacturing from Toledo to St. Louis and the next year we became Curtis-Toledo, Inc.
In 1984 we welcomed our very own portable compressor, The Twin Tank, to our product line. These portable compressors are ideal for light maintenance on service trucks, onsite construction and for homeowner needs.
In 2005 Curtis-Toledo, Inc. became FS-Curtis after being purchased by Fusheng Industrial, a company that specializes in manufacturing a broad range of products from air compressors to golf club heads.
In 2015 FS-Curtis introduced the award winning Nx-Series, a single-stage rotary screw compressor, and later in 2017 introduced the two-stage rotary screw compressor, the Nx-HE.
Throughout our time in St. Louis we have been driven to supply high quality products for a very hard-pressed industry. As we move forward, we will continue to make it our mission to produce energy efficient and reliable products for our customers. From our technical engineers to our factory trained distributors, all FS-Curtis employees are devoted to putting our customers first and only giving them the best this industry has to offer.